Thursday 15 November 2012

Ranked No. 1 in Singapore on Reverbnation, Eli T. sets to take on both Asian and Western markets.

With his 2009 major hit song “Record Breaker” sung by multi-platinum selling Filipino artiste Sarah Geronimo, 2 award nominations "Best Singer/Songwriter" & "Best Solo Artist" in the 2012 "All Indie Music Awards" held in Hollywood, CA, and more than 33,000 likes on his Facebook page as of writing (an impressive number for a Singaporean artist), Eli T. is an upcoming electro-pop act certainly worth tuning into.

Born in Singapore and grown up in Canada, Eli reveals that his East-meets-West identity as an artist poses many challenges for him. Nevertheless, with the love and support from his fans “which mean the world to (him)”, he continues to stick true to himself.

 “It was pretty tough for me when I first got back to Singapore. I just didn't fit in. Collectivistic culture is an interesting thing that doesn't take well to sore thumbs. I was told to chisel away aspects of who I am to be more accessible. I sing, write, produce, arrange, perform and am extremely particular about the execution and presentation of my art form. Critics have tried so many times to box and compartmentalize what I do. Thankfully my fans see the larger picture and stick by me because they understand that I view the entire process as part of the art form too.”

Eli T. - Voted Female magazine's 50 Most Gorgeous people in Singapore and Cleo Magazine's 50 Most Eligible Bachelors in Singapore


You started out as a producer behind the scenes. What made you decide to step into the limelight and become a performer instead? Was it something that you were always working towards? Tell us more about this journey and what you have learnt.

Yes, I got my start professionally as a producer. Stepping into production was a growing phase in my career. There's something special about taking a song in for a good "buff and shine". Writing, producing, arranging and re-mixing bring me large amounts of joy and satisfaction.

That said, I've always been performing but it was only in 2011 that performing took precedence. I've always been an Artist (learnt that the hard way, haha) and I needed a larger outlet for expression.

There's something cathartic about flushing your thoughts, emotions and experiences into a song and production. Performing it just takes it to a whole other level. There's just nothing like it.

I feel like I'm always learning, which is great, cos I never want to be stagnant as an artist. Travelling down this road has also hardened me a fair bit. Artists are sensitive creatures but anyone who decides to go for a spin in the industry will have to learn that business and art are mutually exclusive.

What made you decide to leave a bigger label and become independent?

For me it's all about the art. I wanted to have the ability to create and deliver my best. It was exhausting - trying to be moulded into the "next so and so". I am much happier just being me.

For now, I want to make art on my own terms.

Could you tell us more about your fan base and how you stay connected with them?

I love my fans. They are a huge source of strength and encouragement. I talk to them on Facebook and Twitter whenever I can and it always brings me such joy to see them.

We've been touring/performing extensively and the power of social media has allowed us to connect. Anyone who knows me will tell you that I am a workaholic. I aim to give my fans the best.

Apart from the many social platforms that we have, there's an app for the fans to get instant updates about shows as they get come in.

You have released your debut album "Revolt" in March this year. How has been the response so far?

It is a really exciting time for my team and I as well. We released the record at our show for Mosaic in March. Truth be told, I can only say that we feel extremely blessed for everything to have come together the way the way it has. Just this year alone, we've travelled to so many places and played at major festivals and venues like M.E.A.N.Y Fest (New York, US), Mosaic (SG), City Showcase (Napier, NZ), Singapore Arts Festival (SG), Music & Mens Fashion Week (SG), Indie Week (Toronto, CA) etc.

The album is now available in multiple countries and across all major online platforms including iTunes and Amazon. In June 2012, we signed a distribution deal in Korea and the album is currently distributed across all Korean online portals like Mnet and Olleh Music. We currently rank #1 in Singapore on the Reverbnation music charts and we couldn't be happier.

Right now we're in New York getting ready to go on tour again. This leg of the tour will see us through, New York, L.A. Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. There's just so much more to come. It's going to be an amazing experience.

How do you and your management team work things out, artistically and financially?

My team and I are really close and we function like a family. It's all part of the art form for me and I feel deeply blessed to have a manager that is so patient and understanding. We sit through long team discussions to learn together and make decisions.

I am also so grateful that my team entrusts me with the creative vision. It's not often you get a bunch of crazies working so great together. haha

You are not only a producer, singer, songwriter, but also a model and actor. What do you enjoy doing most?

I would say that I am a musician who can act and I was lucky when I was younger to stumble around a little bit of modelling. Music is definitely the heart of me. Acting comes a close second, but music is so all-encompassing that it's a whole different world than acting for me. I would say that they are all rewarding but the best part about all of this is that it keeps me on my toes. I keep learning and I keep getting inspired to put new elements into my music.

What do you think of the future of the music industry in Singapore and in Asia? Is Asia also a place where you will be focusing on too?

The music industry in Singapore is growing. It is my opinion that it is not near as flourished as the Philippines, Japan or Korea at the moment (which is surprising cos Singapore is so forward with so many things). That said, a number of talented artists released records this year and that is a huge sign of growth and that makes me super excited.

North America shaped a large part of who I am but it was in Asia that I got my professional start as a musician. I also feel really close to my asian fans and I can't wait for 2013 to come around so that I can see them again.

We're in the 2nd leg of our North American Tour, among other things but I try as much as possible to live in the moment.

The journey's so much more enjoyable that way.

My dream is to connect with as many people as possible through my craft and every day I feel grateful for being able to do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment